Objective of the Scholarship
The Enrique Schmidt Scholarship Program supports financially disadvantaged talented students from rural Nicaragua to complete a full-time University career without having to work aside. The program aims to improve education opportunities and reinforce the labor force in Nicaragua.
Enrique Schmidt Cuadra was a German-Nicaraguan DAAD scholarship holder in Cologne in the 70s. As a student, he was involved in the German solidarity movement with Nicaragua during the Somoza dictatorship. In 1984, shortly after the fall of Somozas, Schmidt was assassinated in the fight against counter revolutionary rebels. Enrique Schmidt embodies the German-Nicaraguan relationship as a Nicaraguan scholarship holder in Germany. During his studies, he never gave up his dream of contributing to a better Nicaragua. That's why we want to promote higher education for talented Nicaraguans in his name.
Who can apply?
1. Applicants born in Nicaragua or with Nicaraguan citizenship.
2. Applicants with weak financial situation.
3. Applicants who have completed or are about to complete high school.
4. Applicants who are admitted to or enrolled at a state university in Nicaragua.
Preference will be given to:
- Applicants with high academic qualifications.
- Applicants with occupational or volunteer experience in the social or charitable field.
- Female applicants.
- Applicants from rural areas.
Puente Nica covers at least all the necessary academic expenses of the scholarship holders for the duration of the scholarship. A full scholarship includes:
Allowances of approximately. 130 € per month (2020) to cover: costs for travel, photocopies, study materials, lunch and enrolment fees.
Personal support on site.
Tutoring in particularly study-relevant subjects.
Coordination of the social working hours of the scholarship holders.
The funding will be available only after successful enrollment and admission in a state University.
Duration of the Scholarship
The duration of the scholarship usually is 60 months (5 years). The duration of the support must be justified by the duration of the program of study.
The number of scholarships places available vary every year. We can award as many scholarships as there are places available.
The support may be terminated on failed academic achievement or failure to meet any established agreement.
Deadlines and Application Documents
The application period starts on 01 August and finishes on 30 September of every year. A decision can be expected by February of each year.
In order to be considered for application the following documents must be submitted:
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV), resume (without photo).
3. Copy of the Certificate of fourth year notes and available fifth year notes.
4. Copy of the Baccalaureate Diploma (if you have already received it).
5. Copy of the University Notes of approved courses (if you have already started your studies).
6. Copy of the INSS confirmation of employment income or private income statement signed by the parents.
7. Copy of electricity and water bills for the last 3 months.
8. Proof of Social Project (in case of having been part of any project previously).
9. Detail or list of the estimated costs to be carried out (registration, transportation, materials, rent, etc.)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Application and Selection Process
First stage: After submission of the the application documents, the documents will be evaluated as complete or incomplete. Only complete applications will be considered.
Second stage: Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal interview or videoconference. Candidates may have to ensure a good internet connectivity.
Third stage: Final scholarship holders will be chosen, informed and announced as soon as they have successfully passed the universities admission test.
How is this funded?
- Private donations
- Membership fees of the Puente Nica e.V.
- Contributions from third organizations
- Fundraising campaigns